Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jenni's thoughts

When I first started this adventure, called tennis elbow in both arms, seven weeks ago, I would have never thought it could take this long to heal. Nor would I have thought that God could teach me so much through it. I am physically starting to get better because I have pretty much tried to stop using my arms or I set a timer while doing activities. Things that used to hurt, like making the bed, no longer hurt. I am grateful for the progress and am blessed to have Leland and a physical therapist helping me.

It may seem strange to talk about tennis elbow so much but it is impacting my life greatly. It has made me ask questions of myself. Today, I recognized that I was feeling bad that I can't do things and worried what others think of me. I think, "People are working on the Chi Alpha house, therefore Jenni should work too. Leland is cooking dinner, therefore Jenni should help cook too."

My parents taught me a strong work ethic and I am incredibly grateful for it. The problem is that I can't work. The only way I can get better is if I experience the pain of not doing things, my tendons need to heal. So, I am still learning to do less/nothing.

The greater problem is that I am recognizing that I place my value in my ability to work. When I place my value in what I can do, I fail to recognize my true value. As a follower of Christ, I believe my identity and value is in Him. Being forced to limit all activity with my arms (which you can not believe how much that actually included) is also forcing me to recognize that I need Jesus to heal my perspective of my value as well. One thing I love about Jesus is that He will use the circumstances in my life to teach me...there truly are lessons through the pain.

No comments: